Monstera deliciosa (commonly known as the Swiss cheese plant) is a species of flowering climber native to the tropical rainforests of southern Mexico and Panama. A monstera deliciosa needs 4 -5 hours of indirect sunlight.
How Much Light Does A Monstera Need?
When grown in a domestic setting, the monstera will require a warm and humid environment that provides sheltered exposure to the sun. The monstera deliciosa grows best and the fastest in bright indirect light.
Can Monstera Survive In Low Light?
Swiss cheese plants are known to grow in the moist environments of Central America – where they can be seen climbing up the sides of tall trees.
Because monstera deliciosa thrive in humid and wet conditions, many people believe that the houseplant requires a lot of light to survive. However, this is not the case!
- Monstera deliciosa are incredibly hardy climbers that are easy to maintain in your home – the plant can even survive when kept in low light conditions.
- Low light plants are capable of living in environments that do not sustain large amounts of sunlight – like a shady office or living room.
- This is why Swiss cheese plants have become popular houseplants, for they are perfect for homes that are set back and not overly exposed to the sun.
- Although monstera deliciosa can survive in low light conditions, this does not mean that they can live without exposure to sunlight.
- You cannot expect your Swiss cheese plant to live when it has been exposed to a space that has no light at all – like a basement or windowless bathroom.
- Maintaining your monstera deliciosa in low light conditions can also stunt their natural growth, as they are not receiving the sufficient sunlight needed to develop their health.
- When caring for a monstera in low light conditions – certain methods can be used to ensure the plant’s survival and well-being.
How To Help A Low Light Monstera?
When maintaining a Swiss cheese plant in a low light environment, you have to understand that the lack of light will not allow the plant to grow to its full potential. This means that you may need to take some extra precautions to ensure that your plant is healthy and comfortable.
Down below I have selected some methods that can be used to keep your monstera deliciosa happy and thriving.
- LED lights are an important piece of equipment that every plant enthusiast should own. These lights are not only low-heat and energy-efficient but they are also perfect for maintaining low light plants.
- If you have noticed that your monstera plant is beginning to droop or discolor, that means it is not receiving enough light. However, you can help it by placing it under the warmth of an LED light.
- LED lights are also environmentally friendly and are capable of lasting for a long time. This means that you can ensure the well-being of your Swiss cheese plant for years to come, without having to worry about harming the planet.
- Mirrors can be a particularly useful tool when caring for low light plants. They make the room feel bigger and they add aesthetic value.
- Mirrors can also be used as an inventive way to brighten up an otherwise gloomy and dull setting.
- When hung in the correct position, mirrors are capable of bouncing light around the room, which can help to dissipate any shady corners and provide more indirect sunlight for your monstera deliciosa.
- However, if you are unable to hang mirrors in the same room as your plants, you can instead purchase solar-powered technology that is capable of projecting light throughout the room.
- When caring for your low light monstera deliciosa, it is important to ensure that the plant is well watered and maintained in a humid environment.
- Because low light conditions provide your plant with less exposure to the sun, your Swiss cheese plant will primarily obtain its energy from the water and nutrients you provide.
- If you need to record the humidity levels of your monstera deliciosa, then I recommend that your purchase a hygrometer – to register and maintain the humidity of the room your monstera deliciosa is being stored in.
How To Tell If A Monstera Needs Light?
The monstera deliciosa can survive in low light conditions, however, it is still a plant that requires sunlight to grow and thrive. If your Swiss cheese plant needs light, then certain tell-tale signs can alert you to the condition of your monstera.
- The monstera deliciosa is a plant that enjoys a decent amount of water. However, it does not appreciate being constantly submerged in wet soil.
- If you are watering your monstera deliciosa and the soil is still wet 10 days later – then this means that your plant is not receiving enough sunlight to consume the water efficiently.
- Before watering your monstera deliciosa, the plant’s pot should at least contain 2-inches of dry soil. If not, then you may need to move your Swiss cheese plant to a more lighted environment.
- Sometimes your monstera will begin to exhibit brown and yellow patches on its leaves – this could mean that it needs more light or less water.
- When it comes to growing plants, light and over-watering can often go hand in hand to damage the health of your plant.
- If reducing the amount of water does not help to turn the leaves green, then you should try putting your monstera in a brighter window for more sunlight.
When caring for a monstera deliciosa in your home, you must ensure that the plant is receiving a medium level of sunlight to maintain its growth and health. Place your Swiss cheese plant near a south-facing window and ensure that it is not being burned or hurt by the sun.
If you have to maintain your monstera plant in a low light environment, then you will need to ensure it is receiving the correct amount of light it needs to survive.
And you can do this by implementing LED lights or mirrors. Do not expect your low light monstera to grow, as the lack of light in the room will stunt this process.